10 Simple Steps For Applying To UCAS
If you’ve decided to study a higher education course at The Sheffield College then you’re already one step ahead of the game! We’re more affordable than universities, have smaller classes and have a wide range of courses to suit just about anyone, but you knew all that already. What you might not know however, is how to actually go about applying for one (or more) of our courses.
We’ve broken it down into 10 simple steps so you can get your application in with minimal fuss and get enrolled on your course even faster.
- Register with UCAS – Head to ucas.com and follow the steps to set up your online profile; make sure to include all your personal details and specify your funding options.
- Student Finance – If you’re applying for a student loan make sure you fill in the relevant page and agree to let UCAS share your details with Student Finance England, which makes the whole process of getting your loan much easier and a lot faster!
- Enter your course choices – You can apply for up to 5 courses with The Sheffield College. You’ll find all our courses and their application codes on our website.
- Complete your education and employment history – Make sure to include all your qualifications (including any you’re currently studying, just make sure you list the result as ‘pending’) and any previous jobs you’ve held, either part time or full time.
- Personal Statement – This is the filling in the UCAS application sandwich, your chance to sell yourself and show off your skills! Tell us why you’re applying to The Sheffield College and what interests you about the subject you want to study. You can also include information about any relevant skills and experience that make you suitable for the course, just remember, you’ve only got 4000 characters to do it in!
- Check it through – Give your application a once over and make sure you’ve completed (and saved!) every section, and you’re happy with your personal statement. When you’ve marked every section as complete you can get ready to send your application off.
- Get a reference – This can be from anyone who knows you in an academic capacity, such as a former teacher, tutor or academic professional.
- Pay for your application – Single applications are just £13, or £24 to apply for up to 5 courses. If you are already a student at The Sheffield College, or another school/college, it is likely you won’t have to pay this. Please check with your school/college for details.
- Submit your application – Send your application off to UCAS who will do all the hard work from there.
- UCAS Track – Keep an eye on the UCAS Track Portal where you can see the progress of your application. You’ll get notifications if you’re invited to an interview (course dependent) or when you receive an offer from us.
If you are currently a student with us we recommend that you get your application finished for the 9th of December 2016 so that we can check it through with you. This gives us chance to help refine your application and make sure that every section is complete giving you the best chance of getting that place you’re after. You can speak to your Tutor Mentor or college Careers Advisor for any assistance in the meantime.
Alternatively, if you don’t currently study with us, UCAS’ deadline is the 15th January 2017.