UCAS Applications are Open!
It’s fair to assume the last year or so has absolutely flown by for you as much as it has for us. From finishing your GCSEs, starting college and getting settled, to someone reminding you that if you want to apply for 2017 courses at uni, well, you’d better get cracking with it!
It’s something that you need to start giving serious thought to. If you are thinking of going to university next year or studying a University Level course with us at The Sheffield College (for courses to start in September 2017), the time has come to look take a look through the UCAS website, register and complete the application process.
You may not have realised it as you were all wrapped up in your weekend, but UCAS applications are now officially open and the start of the university level course application cycle has kick started again.
You’re going encounter a lot of questions over the next few months. Where do I go? What do I study? Is university for me? That’s all natural, but it’s better that you experience and answer these questions now through a bit of research and advice-seeking than a few weeks before the deadline.
To make things a little easier for you we’re going to throw you the key dates you need to be working to. Stick them in your diary, save them as reminders in your phone, staple them to your head. Don’t forget them!
- 21 November 2016 University Level Open Day – If you’re thinking of studying a university level course at The Sheffield College, pop along to our Open Day and get the chance to talk to staff about courses, finance and the college in general.
- 9 December 2016 The Sheffield College Internal Deadline- This is we will be expecting your UCAS application to be finished. We know that you don’t really want to be working on it over Christmas, so why not get it out the way and leave yourselves time for us to check it through. It also gives us time to write your reference!
- 15 January 2017, 18:00 (UK time) UCAS Deadline – The majority of courses need to be applied for by now. The only exceptions are some Art and Design courses which have a 24 March deadline. You can add these later; but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total.
- 24 March 2017, 18:00 (UK time) UCAS Deadline for some Art and Design courses.
- All applications received after 30 June are entered into Clearing – find out more about Clearing.
What Needs To Be Done By The Deadlines
We can’t stress the enormity of this, UCAS applications are now open! But there’s no need to panic, you have plenty of time to take a look through the application and suss it out, have a think about it and complete.
You’ll spend a lot of time sifting through prospectuses and attending Open Day’s but when you’re settled as to what you would like to do, here’s what will happen:
- Fill in your details, qualifications and university course choices.
- Write a personal statement explaining why you want to do those courses, your ambitions and what makes you suitable.
- Include your reference. If you are a current student at the college, please feel free to use your Tutor Mentor as a reference.