Taco Tuesdays – Vegetarian Chilli Tacos
It’s Taco Tuesday! Yes, the Mexican dish is that good it can have it’s own day dedicated to all things taco. We didn’t want you to miss out on such goodness, so here’s a dead easy recipe for you to throw together later. Oh, and it’s vegetarian so it’s healthy and perfect for all!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 200g/7oz portobello/shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 100g/3½oz tomato purée
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tinned kidney beans, or mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ready-made taco shells, warmed
- 150g/5oz Monterey Jack (or mild cheddar) cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 200ml/7fl oz plain yoghurt
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion, garlic and celery until soft.
Add the mushrooms and chillies and cook for one minute.Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. When the mushrooms are soft, add the cocoa powder (if using) and stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the beans and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and the beans are all heated through.
To serve, place 2-3 tablespoonfuls of the bean chilli in each taco shell. Top with the grated cheese, chopped coriander (if using), and a spoon of yoghurt and put on plates.