FIFA’s Player of the Century is Auctioning of Some of His Valuables!
When do you know that you’ve ‘made it’? Well as a Footballer probably having 3 World Cup winners medals, a specially made World Cup replica trophy, and the ball you scored your 1,000th goal with is a pretty good indication.
But who are we talking about? Well, as you might have guessed by the sheer amount of goals he bagged, it’s Pele. And he’s auctioning his stuff off…
As a legend of world football, arguably the biggest global name of his generation, and FIFA Player of the Century, Pele has acquired an eclectic set the best and most bizarre gifts everywhere he’s been, from all corners of the world!
They include everything from elaborate crowns and ceremonial daggers, model ships and jet fighters, to more prosaic clocks, dishes, and freedom-of-the-city keys from various municipalities.
But as he’s getting older, Pele doesn’t have time to care for such artifacts and they’ve been gathering dust over the last few years. Pele has also been in and out of hospital over the past 12 months for back, hip and prostate surgery so it’s unlikely he’ll have chance to take care of them soon!
As such, Pele has decided to auction a set of his treasured possessions off and donate some of the money to Pequeno Principe paediatric hospital in Brazil, which he supports.
Here is a list of just some of the items Pele is to auction:
- His personal Jules Rimet World Cup replica trophy – Estimate: $400,000-$600,000
- 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cup medals – Estimate: $100,000-$200,000 each
- 1,000th goal ball – Estimate: $40,000-$60,000
- 1977 NY Cosmos NASL Championship ring – Estimate: $30,000-$40,000
- L’Equipe Athlete of the Century award – Estimate: $20,000-$30,000
- 1958 Brazil World Champion sash – Estimate: $10,000-$20,000
- Santos FC game-worn jersey – Estimate: $8,000-$10,000
- Santos World Club Champions sash – Estimate: $5,000-$7,000
- Game-worn New York Cosmos jersey – Estimate: $8,000-$10,000
The auction is expected to fetch between £2.5m to £3.5m but that could significantly increase should the bidding be high!
Not a bad collection, eh?! A pretty impressive haul of stuff in there, and some serious money will be chucked about at the auction. But Pele had to start somewhere, and one of our Elite Sport courses is the ideal platform for you to start your own medal collection. Check them out here now!