23 struggles a Sheffield Wednesday fan will understand
It’s looking quite good for Sheffield Wednesday this season. Say it with bated breath, but the play-offs are looking like a pretty realistic target for them. Which is nice, ‘cos it’s been a bit naff from both clubs in the city for a number of years now.
1. That burning anger we get whenever out-of-towners confuse us with Sheffield FC.
2. Having to pity those who think that ‘Wendy’ is in any way a humourous nickname.
3. Hearing the words ‘Sheffield Wednesday’ on Match of the Day and knowing someone either lost 8-0 or shipped five goals in a single match to the same player.
4. Being 2-0 up in the 57th minute of 1966 FA Cup final and still getting beat 3-2.
5. Having to watch War of the Monster Trucks instead of the highlights to our first cup win in 56 years because our name isn’t Leeds United.
6. That time we asked Eric Cantona if he could play for us on grass so he f**ked off to them instead.
7. That time we drew 0-0 at home to Rushden & Diamonds in the old Division Two.
8. The annual eight-month wait for Akpo Sodje’s knees to heal.
9. When we needed a win to stay up and our goalscorer dislocated his toe kicking an advertising hoarding.
10. That time we drew 2-2 at home to nine-man Yeovil in League One.
11. When ours was the only fixture to survive the December snowstorm and everyone saw that we lost 5-1 to Exeter.
12. Wittessing a Darren Potter corner.
13. Having to scratch our heads at other Wednesdayites scratching their heads because Gary Teale drove a Bentley.
14. When we were promised a Premier League striker on loan deadline day and in walked Mamady Sidibe.
15. Being genuinely concerned as to the whereabouts of Darryl Lachman for a bit.
16. Ben Marshall and the world’s longest-running fake medical.
17. Having to wait 95 years to beat *that lot* twice in the same season.
18. Realising we might never play them again.
19. Being the only Football League club in Yorkshire who is yet to play at the new Wembley.
20. Selling Grant Holt to raise funds for Kim Olsen.
21. The entire duration of Jay Bothroyd’s six-month loan spell.
22. Not knowing which of the following to vote as goal of the season…
23. …Because we’re used to ones like this by Reda Johnson [skip to 2:30 and enjoy!].
Do you feel those pains as a Wednesday fan, or are you praying for a blue and white slip up as a Blade? Whatever you allegiance, take a look through our Sport courses here at The Sheffield College today!