10 Books You Really Must Read
If truth be told, are you a bit slack on reading? You can go into the local library you know, you’re not in danger of mega paper-cuts! Reading is a great way to learn, stretch your imagination and broaden your mind. The more you read at a younger age, the easier it will be to continue as I’m sure all you bookworms would testify.
But what should you have definitely read before you leave school, as a bare minimum? Luckily for you, we have just the list. It’s a top 10. 1 being the best, 10 being the 10th best (obviously!). The list has been compiled by over 500 teachers – so that must count for something, right?
Ok, so here’s the list (yes we think it’s a bit cheeky that a series of books is included)
1. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3. Animal Farm by George Orwell
4. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
5. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
6. The Harry Potter series by J K Rowling
7. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
8. The Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger
9. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
10. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
How many of these have you read? Quite a lot we hope, there are some cracking reads on that list. There must be some remaining bookworms out there! For all you bookworms, and newly engaged readers, take a look through our English Literature course here at The Sheffield College – we know you’ll just love it!