Player Profile: Jim Pollard – United Futures
As you may, or may not, know here at The Sheffield College we work closely with Sheffield United Football Club on recently made his debut for Sheffield United’s Youth Team winning 2-1 against Crewe Alexandra. Here are his thoughts:
- What’s the best thing about the United Future programme?
Constantly being involved in and around football whether it’s in training, playing, watching and coaching.
- To date what has been your best experience since joining the programme?
Making my debut for SUFC youth team against Crewe (we won as well 2-1) and training at the academy with the first-team keepers George Long and Mark Howard.
- Where have you played football prior to joining the programme?
- Who do you play for now?
SUFC Futures U21’s, SUFC Youth teams and South Yorkshire
- How did you find out about the programme?
Attended Hillsborough College open evening and also conducted research on the course and its successes online.
- What’s the best thing the course has over other options you had?
Opportunity – football-wise the sky is really the limit. Educationally studying a range of subjects to gain a 3 A level equivalent qualification, not sure I would have attained that if I had stayed in Sixth form.
- How has the course improved you both as a footballer and educationally?
I am much more confident to try things now, training every day and playing with better players can only make me a better player. I am much more relaxed in my education as the subjects are something I want to study this I find this approach challenges me to get distinctions for my work assignments.
- What did your parents think about you joining beforehand?
To make sure the end qualification was something that leads to University or into a career.
- What do they think now?
Really pleased with everything. They’re fully supportive of my decision and happy that SUFC Futures and The Sheffield College is going to give me a sound foundation in my future.
- In 3 words sum up the programme?
Demanding, Fun, Challenging.
If you are interested in the United Futures course here at The Sheffield College, follow the link for more info and hopefully you’ll end up pushing on in your career as Jim is doing!