Kick Those PR Bad Habits!
PR professionals are expert communicators, connections specialists and above all, champions of the voiceless. But bad habits are easily developed and it’s time to kick them
Thanks to the proliferation of data and technology, the world of PR has been transformed providing new opportunities to work better and smarter, fostering deeper connections with influencers. And by taking a directed approach to relationship building, there are hugely valuable business outcomes that humanise the industry.
You get to choose which side of PR you want to be on, but if you want to be an ally of influencers, from bloggers and journalists to YouTube stars, Instagram artists and Snapchat celebrities, you should take these top tips into consideration:
- Treat influencers as valued partners, not just a channel
- Use technology to build relationships, not replace them
- Demonstrate respect by keeping pitches simple and to the point
- Clearly communicate expectations and desired outcomes prior to engaging in a partnership
- Honor agreed upon deadlines, and keep communications open if a deadline cannot be met
Along with kicking some bad habits, like:
- Adopt a no SPAM policy and eliminate irrelevant, mass pitches or impersonal communications
- Don’t engage with influencers only when you need something from them – engage frequently to support their activities before you ever make an ask
- Abide by influencer contact preferences – use the right channel at the right time
If you take these into consideration, get yourself over to The Sheffield College and enroll onto one of our Public Relations courses, you’ll be recognised as a PR whiz in no time at all!